Content repurposing is changing content you have already created so it fulfils a new purpose, a different goal or appeals to a new audience. You are trying to stretch, and exploit, your valuable content so it goes as far as possible.
Benefits of repurposing content
By repurposing content, you can
- build a more comprehensive collection of content
- tailor your content for different audiences
- match the information your customers need, at different stages of the buyer’s journey, much quicker and easier
- reduce the overall time it takes to produce content
Simple tips for repurposing content
- Break large content sections into smaller, easier to digest, blocks
- Don’t initially chase the top result on Google; start small, get the basics right and then grow your ambition. Don’t try and run before you can walk.
- Pick out key messages / themes and create social media posts that highlight your message and encourage people back to your website.
- Ensure your content matches the style of each social media channel, for example, LinkedIn is more business-focused whereas Instagram works better with images. Presentations, videos, audio, infographics, eBooks etc. are should all be considered.
- Consider creating content for other respected sources in your industry, for example, a guest blog post or article in a specific magazine.
- Merge content from different articles you have written to create a new article.
Within content repurposing, the phrase ‘don’t re-invent the wheel’ is, in some cases, very true. Use what you have, not what you don’t have, to create something special.
Happy content repurposing!